Doesn’t it really bug you when you spend a fortune on a well-known brand’s moisturiser, only to come out looking like a teenager who just got their first spots?
This is the problem I have faced for a while. I religiously used Palmers cocoa butter- it smells delicious right? But what I didn’t realise was how much it was toxifying my skin!
A quick Google search tells me that, for just £4, whizz-bang, you can coat yourself in a myriad of toxins! These include: Water, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract, Glyceryle Stearate, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mineral Oil (Paraffinium Liquidum), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hyroxyethylcellulose, PEG 8 Stearate, Benhentrimonium Methpsulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Alcohol, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Orange 4 (CI15510).
Yes, I was horrified too. So I decided to stick it to the man and make my own moisturiser.
- 1 cup of Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp of Beeswax
- 1 tbsp of Hemp oil
- 1 tbsp of Olive oil
- 10 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of Vanilla essential oil
- Place shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add olive oil and hemp oil and pour mixture into a bowl.
- Place bowl in the fridge to cool until it solidifies (Approximately 40-90 minutes)
- Hand whisk cooled mixture until it takes on a whipped consistency similar to whipping cream.
- Add essential oils to scent
- Spoon into jars with a lid and store in a cool place.
- Voila! You are a silky smooth goddess/god!
I experimented with my packaging- I even tried a beer can!